Recipes for Dummies: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Last week I posted about how I made this awesome pie (see photo above) and a few people asked me for the recipe. So here it is!

Disclaimer: I am a terrible cook (hence the post title). I mess up just about everything I make. I've never made a perfect box brownie. I don't really know cooking lingo and I don't know if there is even cooking lingo. The recipe came directly from my mom who is an amazing cook. I have a feeling that she simplified this recipe for me. So you are welcome to do it better than I. Actually, please do it better than I.

You need: 
1 bag of frozen strawberries
1 bag of frozen rhubarb
2 ready pie crusts 
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 handful of flour

You could also use fresh strawberry and rhubarb (if you can find it) and I bet it will taste a lot better. So do that.

First: Let your strawberries, rhubarb, and pie crust thaw.
Second: Combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, salt, and nutmeg into a large bowl. Mix well. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
Third: While you wait for the filling to become all juicy and stuff, take one of the pie crusts off of the pie pan and roll it out flat for the top crust. Use flour to keep it from sticking to everything. If you want, you can cut out little shapes. The first time I used a baby heart cookie cutter, this time I just cut out eyelets with a knife. This is where you can get creative!
Fourth: Once your fruit concoction has caramelized, or whatever, fill your pie! Try to leave out as much of the juice as possible.
(see bellow)
Fifth: Put the top crust on top of the filled pie. Tuck the edges under the bottom crust. Use a fork to smush them together.
Sixth: Using a cooking brush, paint a little bit of milk onto the top crust and then sprinkle with sugar. 
Seventh: Bake for 30-40 minutes. I found that the crust started to get a little too brown before the rest of the pie was done cooking so my mom told me to wrap some tin foil around the edges to block out heat. 
Eighth: Take your pie out of the oven and let it cool! The eat it! 
I am not a big fan of hot fruit, meaning that I only like cold pies. So I stuck mine in the refrigerator for an hour. The filling is usually kind of runny (as you can see in the photo above). My mom said that it is probably because I used frozen fruit. I have found that refrigerating the pie helps to thicken the filling.

I hope that you get what I am trying to say. If you are a better cook than me (which is not unlikely) please give me some pointers! Or if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try my  best to answer. If you end up using this recipe please let me know how it went for you!

Carli

No comments:

Post a Comment