Wedding Photographer.


Today I had the privilege of photographing my very first wedding. The bride and groom were absolutely adorable and so in love. I am so glad to not only have gotten to take pictures of their special day, but to just be there to witness such a strong and sacred bond. My heart is so full. I was so excited when they asked me to be their photographer but along with the excitement came the nervousness. I have done little shoots for friends (engagements, family portraits, parties, etc.) before but nothing this significant. Nothing this meaningful. Nothing this sacred. I prayed many times that I would at least get some decent photos. One thing that I learned today was that being a photographer is not easy! The lighting (and temperature) conditions were less than ideal. It was flipping hot! and besides the fact that I am pretty sure I was on the verge of having a heat stroke by the end of it, I really surprised myself. I learned that I needed to be assertive. It's hard to get everyone to cooperate! I also learned that while everyone was miserable out in that heat (especially me) I had to put that aside and be happy, fun, and slightly ridiculous. There were times when I looked through my viewfinder all I saw were unhappy faces. I had to crack jokes and basically make a fool of myself in front of a bunch of strangers and friends to get them to remember (or at least look like they remembered) what a happy occasion it was.

Today helped me to realize a lot of things. As much as I love being behind the camera, I don't think I wan to do this as a career. Or at least the wedding aspect. All my friends keep telling me to start and "on the side" photography business. Don't get me wrong, that is a great idea! but today helped me to realize that photography will always be a hobby for me. I don't mind (and frankly, would love) to photograph for friends and family, but not for a career. For all you professionals out there, you guys are saints. It's not as easy as you make it look. Thanks for being the person to capture so much.

Congrats Phillip and Damaris!

Carli

Maybe I'll post a couple of the photos I took...

No comments:

Post a Comment