Restyle Files: T-shirt

Ok so I have a confession. I often go thrift shopping and buy clothing that I need to alter before I can wear it. Then I don't alter it. Like ever. It's terrible. I have a very large tote full of potential. One of my goals for the summer was to alter all of the clothing in my tote before school starts in the fall, but it really hasn't happened yet. So today I thought I would try my hand at a simple restyle.

I got this t-shirt a few weeks ago at Goodwill for 2 bucks. I am not sure why I bought it, especially since it was a little too small for my chest. Unfortunately, I am well endowed, and this is a reoccurring problem.

To fix this problem I, (1.) cut the side seam all the way up, (2.) cut out two rectangles of cute fabric that is about an inch and a half longer than the side seam, (3.) sew in the rectangle, (4.) hem it, (5.) do a better job than I did. 

So if you didn't at all understand that description... well I wouldn't be surprised. I had a very hard time trying to describe the process because I know little about sewing. I don't know if my sewing machine is messed up or if I wasn't doing something right, because I had some troubles. This is why half of me wants to wait until I start taking my sewing classes to restyle all of these clothes so that I do a good job, but the other half of me wants to have a whole new wardrobe before I go back to school. I think I'll ask my amazing mother for some help. With her expert hand in sewing, i'll be well on my way to a full closet this fall.

Carli


5 comments:

  1. I think you did an excellent job. Great re-do. I understand finding clothes that fit everywhere except for the chest and this post only confirms that I need a stinkin' sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Get one! It is not fun finding cute clothes that fit everywhere but the chest... sewing makes it better. :)
    Carli

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pattern mix and the fact that you didnt just go for a solid color. It's showcasing your change rather than hiding it!!

    Dont worry, I thrift a ton of clothes too....not even to alter...just because its pretty. eep.

    Sarah
    http://www.zzouzivintage.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great way of altering a tshirt! I would never have thought of this. Looking forward to testing this out :D And like everyone else, I love your pattern mix, it seems kinda quirky and cool! So glad I discovered your blog - I'll be returning! Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is way awesome! Would love to try it myself :)

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete