My dad has been hot air ballooning since 1972 and has been coming to the fiesta since 1977. I have been going my entire life. I am so lucky to be able to miss an entire week of school to spend my days soaring across the New Mexico sky.
If you have never seen & or heard of a balloon fiesta I highly suggest you look at the following pictures….
This year my dad was not able to bring his balloon due to an accident three years ago. His balloon was tangled in barbed wire during a windy landing. Suffice to say, it has a few holes that cost an arm and a leg to fix. So this year we came a spectators. Soooonot as fun as coming as a balloon crew. I was so incredibly jealous of all the balloon crews. Especially on the first day when I saw this guy holding the ropes which is MY job. I even became somewhat emotional. The following is a list of things, in no particular order, that I was extremely jealous of because I was not part of a balloon crew.
1. Staying in a really nice hotel for free.
2. Getting free breakfast and lunch from the hospitality tent.
3. Being able to park onto the field.
4. Being able to sleep in the car until the pilots get their weather briefing.
5. Getting to go to the zoo for a party with food for free.
6. Getting free admission to all balloon fiesta events.
7. Being that really cool kid riding in the back of the chase crew vehicle while everyone else stares in envy.
8. Riding in the balloon.
9. Setting up the balloon.
10. Chasing the balloon.
By the way. It is an awesome thing to be browsing the post cards and seeing your dads balloon on one of them. Rodeo Joe is the black balloon with the yellow longhorn.
Flying in a balloon is so amazing. It feels like you are flying. Once you reach about 100 feet it is silent. You don’t here the busy city noises any more. Just the sound of the burner warming the balloons air. It is so peaceful & awe-inspiring. A balloon ride is something everyone must do.