The Switch.

This is a shout out to all of you college students who have changed your major a billion and one times. I feel for you.
For those of you who have always known what you want to be and have stuck with it… well consider yourself lucky.
For a while I have been thinking about my choice of major. I know that I would probably like being a speech pathologist, but I don’t think I would absolutely love it. It wouldn’t be my passion. I choose that major out of economical fear. I wanted a career that was certain, something I could count on, and something that would always be needed. I wanted something safe. 
But then I thought… What is life without a struggle? A risk? An uncertainty? What is life with out a passion? What would it be like to wake up day after day and drag myself to a job… not a love.
By now you have probably figured out that I changed my major. I am going to be a Business Management major with a focus in entrepreneurship. (The day that I am able to successfully spell/pronounce that word is the day that I will know that I built a successful business.) I realized that if I was really serious about starting my own handmade/vintage business I needed to literally get down to business. 
So this summer I am going to immerse myself in creativity. I am going to take some sort of creative class like printmaking or painting, take some online classes to catch up to my major, and just make stuff… a lot of stuff. 
I am excited to experiment with different mediums, be inspired, and hopefully find an original outlet from which to create. 
I am so grateful for how my parents raised me into believing that I could do anything. They have always supported me in every (sometimes completely insane) thing that I try to do. 
One thing that I have learned is that life isn’t long enough to sit around and wait for your dreams to come true. If you want something don’t be afraid to go out and get it. Don’t let anything get in your way.
Carli

No comments:

Post a Comment